Talk is cheap, You know that Rest Homes and similar institutions want to present as good a face as possible. So you dont want to go by their claims but by the results. By their actions. Recognize that there is a limit to what a rest home can do for a hundred or so patients with dementia. On the other hand be realistic about what they are actually doing for them. One thing that concerns me is; are they allowed to get hungry and not giving them something to eat. The ordinary person will probably get hungry sometime between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner but does the person with dementia get offered a snack in case they do get hungry? That should be checked on. I brought in a TV for Kay that I hoped someone would turn on now and then for her to watch. They do provide some activities like coloring and puzzels for them but there are times when they just put them in a room with a TV and that is about it. The times I have been there in the TV room they dont do much but look at each other. Yesterday I visited Kay and brought her in to her room turned the TV on while I sat by her and held her hand. A lady I thought was from the nearby bed came in and seemed fascinated with it. I have it tuned to the arts channel. But what I was getting at about talk being cheap is when I brought in the TV and DVD player maintenance man promised to bring in a power cord so we could hook up the DVD player to the TV. My expectation was that now and then they could pop in a home movie DVD so Kay could watch her family in old films. However all this stuff just sat there and every time we went there to visit we got all this "what a lovely person Kay is" and "we just love her" she is a dear". Stuff like that. I look at the TV and DVD player sitting there unconnected then compare it to the words about much they love her and think of her and I say your words don't fit your actions. I want to see deeds not words. I believe what I should hear is the truth. There is only so much that can be done for dementia. But what I an dissatisfied with is that they expressed so much concern but then didn't even turn it on. Just put her in a room with a dozen others and call that good.
This may shock some people but I went out to the nearby pub and had a beer. Many years ago when Frank and Reta moved back up here Frank wanted me to golf with him which I don't think I ever did. I know nothing about golfing. But instead one time, and I wish now I had done it more, I asked him if he would like a beer. He jumped at the chance. Too bad we didn't do it many times more. he seemed to like it. Kay was good about doing things with her parents like having them over for dinner and other events. We took Frank on a trip with us to Europe But I think more beers and golf would have given him so much more pleasure. Being married to a Free Methodist did not encourage these activities. Reta did not push it on anyone but Grandma Hemry was always the free Methodist. Until Grandma Hemry died Free Methodism was very important in our lives. Sort of like Grandma Gudgel and the Baptists.
See Kay here in better times.


No comments:
Post a Comment