Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Try out the Southern Kitchen

 I decided it was too much trouble to take Kay  out to eat.  She wanted to rest anyway.  We stayed on her bed until it was time  to  go.  Tom and Peg came and brought the groceries then we went to the Southern Kitchen to eat. It is a small place with no waiting area except out on the sidewalk. But it seated many more than I expected.  Quite a few 2 tables.  We ordered some fish on the low end of the menu with a couple side  dishes.  I had red beans and dressing with gravy on it.   I picked a fish dish in a long list of catfish dishes.  I learned to like catfish a time I took a trip back east with Jerry my brother,  I also bought it at the grocery store store to cook at home.  Unfotunately the menu did not state it was catfish so sure enough it was not catfish.  Besides it was deep fried.  I don't know about deep frying catfish.   I would guess other dishes would be better thaan this low end dish.  The side dish of dressing was covered with what tasted like canned dark  gravy.  I am not sure I would know the difference between dressing.  But seems like I was fond of turkey dressing when we cooked it at home.If I want canned gravy I can eat at home.  The beans were mostly soup.  Taste ok but very short on beans.  Should have been called soup.  The fish was  so small amount it was hard to tell if there was fish in the batter which was very thick.  Batter was ok if I had ordered batter.  It looks like any fish dish of fillets will be mostly batter.  Maybe a whole fish would be more fish and less batter.  The cornbread was a corn cake cooken on a griddle.  I expected it to be baked. All in all I was disappointed in what I got.  I might go again if I want to give the place an opportunity to redeem itself but this trip was very ordinary. I might try a catfish dish.  Fish and chips across the street from me  is a  much better deal. Everything served is better at the OCB  and there I where I will go next time if I want southern cooking.    

No comments: