Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Monday, March 10, 2014

Showers are terrifying



 Today when I arrived for my daily visit Kay was being dressed by two Caregivers after given a shower.  When she saw me she had an expression of terror on her face.  She rushed to me and clung to me until I could calm her down. There is something about a shower that freaks her out.  A previous shower was the same. The day I saw her in the process of getting one when I noticed her loss of weight.   There is something about a shower that is extremely distressing.  The spray, their attempt to soap her.  Something there she can not tolerate.  I asked a Caregiver if she ever submits willingly.  The Caregiver said no.  I am sure that is why they require two caregivers to give a shower.  She always took a bath at home.  

We went and lay on her bed after she finished getting dressed.  After a while I got a sweater, heavy overcoat, my ugly knit hat and garden like gloves on her and went outside and sat in the sun and occasional breeze. Her hair was probably still a little wet.

More time in her room and when  I told her I had to go home she indicated it was ok. I cant remember what it was she did.  But she even waved to me before I got my coat on so she was comfortable with my leaving.  Being with someone who does not require anything is very calming I think. 

No comments: