Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Aspects of living in an assisted living facility.

 When  I got to Kay's place today she was not in any of her usual haunts.  Community room, Activity room, her bed or bedroom, or the hall.  From this there could be no other conclusion.  She was in someone elses bedroom.  There was a nearby Caretaker so I told him she was not around.  He immediately started looking into nearby rooms.  the first one was the next one up the hall and he found her in bed.  I didn't check but I think this is a mens room.  When she came out she was still in her nightgown with no slippers.  She had somehow gone into this room and gone to bed. When I find  her still in her nightgown at two o'clock in the afternoon I immediately wonder if she ate breakfast and lunch.  The caretaker said she had eaten but this raises the question how did she go eat in her nightgown?  They will not   force a patient to get dressed but she would not normally go to meals in a nightgown.  Naturally she was glad to see me and after a while I got her dressed and took her outside to sit in the sun.  It is not very comfortable as the only places to sit are iron furniture.. Either iron chairs or an iron bench.  
but the sun was warm if out of the breeze so we enjoyed more than a half hour in the sun.  After a short time to visit her after being outside I told her the usual I have to go home  but I will be back tomorrow.  
She took it quite well so I went on downstairs.  

Yesterday she objected strenuously to taking a shower.   She was terrified at the process.  She had such a terrible look on her face when she saw me.   It just makes me so sad to see her so terrified.  She calmed down right away after seeing me.  I called last night about 9:30 and asked the nurse on duty to not give her showers any more.  She told me they do not have any bathtubs in the place.  Showering  is a common problem   there. Not just with Kay.  The only alternative is a sponge bath.  As difficult as it is it looks like that is the way Kay should get her baths in the future. The nurse agreed with me to give her sponge baths in the future. I've got to check with the others there to make sure the facility gets the message.  It takes two caregivers to give a shower.

It looks like the guy that hit Kay the other day that he is locked in his room.  It appeared the other day that they were installing a warning speaker if he does something he should not.  I saw two women caregivers go into his room today then shortly after a man caregiver also went in.  I have no idea what was going on. There was no noise.  I know his name but not what he looks like.  I am sure I know him because before the incident with Kay I think he was allowed in the normal population so I would have seen him.

No comments: