Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Return to the 1940's

 I made good time going and coming to see Kay.  They were taking her to her room for some personal attention done several times a day.  After she was done I took her to the metal furniture and gave her the usual truffle.  She had part of a cracker then we went back to her room and hung out together for the rest of the stay. She didn't hesitate to wave goodbye to me so I believe when I leave her if  not in a distracting situation she understands the situation pretty well.  I had intended to go to the 1940's stage show at the theater a block away from where I live Sunday afternoon.  But I got the dates wrong and re-arranged the bus schedule for Sunday so I could go in the afternoon.  Then too late to  correct it for this Saturday afternoon. So I went Saturday  night instead.  No real problem as I could walk either in the afternoon or night.  This show is touring the country apparently although there may be a number of organisations doing this show at the same time.  It is appearing in Seattle too but I don't know if it is the particular band or another organizations doing it too.  .  What it is is a swing band of the 30's with some singers and who double as dancers too. I had no idea what the price would be as I have not done anything like this in 40 years.  I can say that admission was not 40's prices.  I stayed until intermission then left.  The band was adequate but suffered from the usual problem of timing when compared to the real individual bands of the 30's ad 40's.  Even though they played together constantly they practiced, practiced and practiced.  Listen to the bands of that era  to see what I mean.  Also the make up of the band was not identical to the bands that played the music then so the sound and arrangements were not identical. I would have been happier to hear the band without the amplification as it hurt the eardrums besides hiding the real tone of the instruments. No matter how good the PA system it does not equal the tone coming from the instrument. The low lighting in addition to my bad eyesight meant I could not see the stage very good. This is the Temple theater and I hear it is having problems staying open.  I don't doubt that.  I had to sit in a normal chair although it was padded.  In fact I think the chairs were the same as where Kay lives.  

I different experience although I would have to have a good reason to go again. 

No comments: