Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2014

Kay on Friday


I thought Oh Oh when I could not find Kay in her usual places. However when I came out of her room and into the hall the Caregiver told me she was up at the end of the hall.  Just past the Community Room the hall makes a 90 degree turn where they have placed a bench and a couple chairs.  She was sitting on the bench where she had never been before.  When she saw me she struggled to get up showing just how feeble she was.  Desperate to hug me for some reason.  She seemed so glad that I was there.  I just wonder if she  had been sitting there just feeling so alone and abandoned. So when she saw me she felt so relieved.  I got her to grasp my walker with both hands which seemed difficult for her to do.  She didn't seem to quite understand how to do it.  After some help from me she succeeded and we went to the iron furniture.  There she ate a truffle and nibbled on a Graham cracker. She likes them but they are hard to eat.  She manages to eat them but she only ate a portion of one.  I offered her part of a banana but I don't think she ate any.  I had also brought a fresh baked muffin but she did not seem to want it either.  For two days now she has not eaten like she was before I had them get her off the puree low salt low flavor diet.  Maybe she just is not hungry.   Next week I will get a new weight measurement.  Going home I didn't leave her in her room but in the hall next to the elevator and in the middle of a crowd.  I don't like to do that as I would like to leave her where I can wish her goodbye without a lot of confusion in the same area.  As the door was closing I think I saw her wave to me. To keep her from trying to get in the elevator I had asked the caregiver to help me leave. That also added to the confusion.  
I greeted Eva from Cascade Gardens Vista my place and she almost always says she is losing her mind.  Her problem is she doesn't know where she is.  She also seems to think she is going to live the rest of her life there. She is probably right about that.  I asked her if she was from  Tacoma.  She said she grew up there and went to grade and high school.  I asked her if she had children but she said she did not know.  So she does not know  if she has children but knows she grew up in Tacoma.  I don't know if that is true or not but that is how dementia works.  She can talk well but she will not be able to find her room.  However she may avoid going into other peoples room as she knows enough to ask where she is supposed to go.  Where Kay does not know that and as a result  goes to the wrong room all the time. 

    

No comments: