Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Showers and daily visits

 A rather mundane ordinary trip today but there were a coupe things of interest. I got to the place, got a coat on her then took her outside to sit in the sun.   I did not need one as it was quite warm.  the maintenance man who is new there complemented me on coming to see Kay every day. I am quite sure he is no doubt a good family man if it impresses him that much.  Most people don't say anything.  As I told you a couple days ago how much Kay is terrified by showers.  I called I think it was night before last and talked to a nurse there and she said she would fix it up so Kay would take sponge baths because of her distaste for showers.  I went in to the nurses station to make sure they had the message.  This was the first they knew of my concern.  Fortunately the person who assigns methods of dealing with treatment and handling of patients was there to listen to me.  Of course they knew of Kays reaction to showering and suggested that instead of just sponge baths they start with a shower and if she is not in the mood (my idea) that they use the sponge bath then.  That is a good idea as apparently her (and others) reaction may vary depending upon her mood.  I feel much better about this now that someone in authority has done something about the situation.  My question is why did the nurse I talked to the other night say she was going to do something then did nothing?  This seems to be the prevailing atmosphere around places like this.  Did the nurse I talked to the other night just figure she didn't have to say anything because how would I know she didn't do what I asked?  I had never talked to this nurse before and maybe she did not know I go there every day and was bound to find out?  If I went only once a week maybe I would not know.  But I go every day.   I do not know this nurse but her voice is distinctive.  I have never heard it before.  This seems to be the attitude.  They deal with people if in their right mind very naive and inexperienced in dealing with the real world. The attitude you come up against is that they think they can get away with telling a lie if they think necessary when dealing with the kind of people there and at a regular Assisted living establishment. This is really disappointing.

No comments: