I missed renewing my ride after the last 5 day period and there was no ride for me to go see Kay today. I called Roger the cab driver who I go with when I cant ride the shuttle for some reason or other. I got acquainted with him when I was going to see Kay while this outfit or the county stalled OKing my qualifications to ride it. The ability to ride the shuttle does not depend upon how much money you have just does your physical handicap quality you. Ken Tank who was a member of the King County Advisory Board said my eyes alone qualified me to ride the shuttle. When I started throwing around "Member of Advisory Board" and Tom started talking about going to the city council we got immediate results. You can only sign up for rides for a maximum of 5 consecutive days then you can do it all over again. Forget to sign up and then you have no way to get there. Roger gives me a discount so it helps a little. So today after waiting for 20 minutes past the pick up time I called the shuttle and found I had forgotten to renew. Then I was told as I had been going there for over three weeks consecutively I could sign up for daily pickups and not have to do any more signing up. I immediately got on that list. I can of course cancel a ride if necessary,
Kay was back in her room when I got there about 2 or so by cab. I stayed with her in her room just lying beside her for about a half hour watching the Arts channel. She ate the three graham crackers I gave her so she may have been hungry. Half hour or so later we got up and went to the community room where the TV is and I left her there. It is obvious that she is recognizing the women there ( it is mostly women there. ) and they recognize her. I was wondering if the praise for her that comes from the help might be just buttering me up but when patients there do it I think it is genuine praise. One of the women in the Community Room seconded by another one told me what a beautiful and gracious person she is.
It's so sad. All you need to do to see what a mean and terrible disease Dementia is just go to an institution that takes care of people like this. If you need your sense of compassion restored I think that will do it. If we don't see it we tend to forget the misery that is in this world.
![]() |
| One of the Brown's kids |


No comments:
Post a Comment