![]() |
| I think this is Tom |
I see a sad thing that goes on in these institutions or at least it does in this one. It is a building with a very small yard outside that had a couple tables but is completely concrete. The patients can not get out of the building of course. They can get out of the building but just into the concrete coated yard. I called the people there this morning to tell them that yesterday Kay said she was not feeling well. I wanted to tell them so they could take a closer look at her today. They told me she was up and walking the halls. That brought me up short and reminded me that all these people had to do when they were not involved in some sort of activity, which is necessarily most of the time of course, that is walking the halls. I've seen a lot of that and it never dawned on me that they may be bored out of their skulls. I just thought that was what people with dementia do. Now I know. Actually that is all they have to do. They go to the TV viewing room and do not bother to watch the TV. When I have seen them they just seem to look ahead and not not bother with the TV. At least they have someone to look at across the room. Even people with dementia can't look at the walls across the room 24 hours a day. They, as Kay did, walk the hall. That isn't all that interesting but I think they just have to get out of their boring room. Occasionally I attempt a conversation with some and many cases they do talk to me to the best of their ability. Sometimes they are surprisingly lucid. I believe this is a good reason for Kay to get out of that place as much as possible. If any of the family visits her take her out for just a few minutes. I am thinking of going there and make a special attempt to talk to some of those who do not have visitors. I will talk to the appropriate person there the next time I go to find who might be a good person to talk to. Then I will go see Kay. As I cant take anyone anywhere with my eyes this way. I might do some kind of a game. Since I got old I think more about these poor people abandoned by the world. Maybe I can get Kay and the person selected to play the game. Kay is not always up to games I suppose then we will just hold hands with her. Probably after I give a few minutes to the other person.

No comments:
Post a Comment