I Had a good visit today with Kay but leaving was hard. Just as I was worried would come. Up to today when I told her I had to go she accepted it and did not seem to mind too much. Today it was different. When I got to the 3rd floor which is the floor she is on I got out of the elevator and walked down the hall towards her room and found her walking towards me hanging on to the hand rail as she walked. When she looked up and saw me she immediately recognized me and said she was so glad to see me. This is different from the her usual response which is to recognize me and just touch me and perhaps smile in appreciation of my presence. But today she immediately recognized me and said she was- glad to see me. I turned her around and we went out to the patio on the 3rd floor where we usually sit in the shade in the two padded chairs provided. However today there was a man already on the patio occupying one chair so we had to sit at the hard plastic table which had hard plastic chairs also of course. It was kinda hot outside but we made the best of it for a while. She continued to express her appreciation of my visit by the usual expressions of love for me by touching and kissing me now and then. Finally it was so warm we went into her room but it was hotter than outside which I knew it would be because the room has no air conditioning. I keep wanting to find a thermometer sometime and see just how hot it is. There is anemic air conditioning in the rest of the building in various places like the TV room which is not very effective. You would think the employees would complain as they have to work in the heat too but jobs are hard to come by and maybe that is the reason. She has only a twin bed of course but as it is not convenient to sit and look at her I lay down beside her and she puts her head on my breast for a while. That is not comfortable either as the bed has not head rest as you would expect so it is not easy to spend too long there. Today I thought of an idea that will help my visits be better which is to bring some pictures for her to look at. She had some games also at the other place and I should get Tom to bring a few.
I decided I had to leave so took her to the 3rd floor dining room but when I told her I had to leave she said she wanted to go home with me. That is what I have been dreading. I thought she was over that stage. But no, her memory was active on the subject of home for some reason and I had a hard time convincing her I could not take her home with me. When you leave your kid at summer camp you know he will be coming home. With Kay of course you know she will not be coming home. I could call the facility and ask how she is getting along but what difference does it make? They cant get into her mind. And what can I do about it anyway?
If anyone visits her a good thing is to take her our for a short trip. Tom has promised to do this on is on Saturday when he comes. We went to Crispy Creme last time.
Geese at Spokane River Park


No comments:
Post a Comment