Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Trouble in Paradise

 When I first saw Kay she was in the hall walking around   without a walker.  So I gave her part of mine and I took her to our spot and I gave her the usual.  We went back to the activity room and we did some exercises. During this period I thought she needed some personal attention so I got the attendant to take her.  But when he came in she refused to leave me.  So I got up and managed to get her to come with us.  But when he wanted to take her into the restroom she refused to leave me so I took her back to our chairs. Later after we were in her room I had concluded she didn't need any attention anyway.  Usually she submits to the attendant but this time no.  I am conscious that a reaction like this could be because of the one who was going to do it.  Unfortunately I have no way of knowing.  I am not infavor of this way of attending to these personal needs.   If it happens again I will see if I can get a female attendant and see if there might be a difference.  

I have a questionair to fill out regarding how well I think they are doing.  It's probably as good as I can expect. The other day I reported that the room  heater was not working in her room.  So I called this to the attention of the maintenance guy. The next morning he told me he had taken the cover off and tightened the bolts. For one thing if he had done that there would  have been evidence of overheating because with a heater that size a loose bolt means poor connection and then there is resistance and the connection will heat up.  That is how a fire might start.  As I told previously there was no heat coming out of the left side.  That means it was not working at all. But he told me he tightened up the bolt.  The next morning while waiting for the shuttle the head nurse found me waiting and told me it had been fixed.  I told her it had not been fixed because I had checked it and it was still not heating properly.  After I got to the facility the second maintenance guy told me they had ordered a new heater and it would be in.  They would fix it then.  By then I had decided to just drop the subject because the weather was warming up and the heater could keep the room reasonably warm working half way. 

Do they think I am stupid?  You could tighten those bolts until the threads were stripped and it would not fix the heater.  Why this maintenance guy would tell me this when he knew I could put my hand down at the heater and tell it was not working.  Did he not think that all I had to do was check out another heater like that and see the difference?  I've always liked this guy as he seems to like  me and my attention towards Kay. I felt he was honest in his dealings with me.  Does he really have no respect for people in my predicament and just softsoap me and others to keep us mollified? This is a real disappointment to me as I thought he respected me and would if he told me anything  it would be the truth.  Because if he had tightened the bolt all he would have had to do was turn the heater on before he left the room and could have seen it was not working.  Not only that he probably could have visually checked to see if it was working. I know that too many people  here  do the same.  Think we have no way of knowing and will accept what they say so we are satisfied and they are rid of us.  Nothind substitutes for honesty.  Wasn't it Jesus who said "and all liars" 
Kay was smiling a lot at me today.

No comments: