Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Suicide in the dining room

I wrote an update o my visit to see Kay but I must have hit a key combination and wiped it out.  In the meantime I wrote the following before discovering I had wiped it out.  Not much went on anyway.   She was very slow mentally and physically.  It might just have been a bad day, and not a trend. She had no trouble knowine me and smiling in return to my smile at her. 

A funny incident in the dining room today. Some are not above snitching goodies from other tables.  Today a guy who is constantly going around saying "Same old sh-t" concluded  a piece of banana cream pie was not the same old  and as he went by he picked it up from the place where the woman who sits there was not going to be there for lunch.  But he didn't count on the woman in the next chair who saw him and told him in no uncertain terms that she had her eye in it and to put it down.  That he did without  comment and slunk away.   Now the woman who had dibs on the pie already had one at her plate.  She needed it like I need hole in the head.  She is diabetic and takes ten pills of one kind for foot pain  every day.  There is hope however tonight she didn't eat the bun that came with the hot dog with chili beans on it.  I always leave the bread and even give her my cinnamon roll we get at Sunday breakfast. I told the nurse that the next test everyone would be over 200 (meaning mg/dl).   I got there too late to find out except for one which was 225 or something like that.  When someone complains about food quality (appetising) they drag out that they give a Detroit's meal.  It definitely is good for acid  reflux but not for diabetics.  For instace the Sunday Evening meal as all of you know in institutions and military organizations Sunday meals are skimpy.  Take the one at noon with the pie.  In addition to that there was a baked potato (cold by then) Chicken deep  fried with batter, broccoli  and most any kind of drink you would want.  (I always skip the sugary and fruit drinks) Consider this fairly light carb representative lunch (for this place) The pie I would guess would run at least 200 grams of carb.  The hot dog probably 7 or 8, baked potato probably at least   50  grams, the batter on the chicken at least 50 grams if high glycemic index carbohydrates.  Then there is the chili with maybe 15 grams of carbs.  You add it all up and it probably consisted of 325 grams of carbohydrates.  this is a light meal of carbohydrates. I  know that if I were to eat all that my b/g would be sky high.  My b/g will go up about 4 points for every gram of carb I eat.  If I ate 325 grams of carbs figure it out for yourself.  I cant imagine my b/g going that high as other factors might make it stay  under the calculated estimate.  But it would go sky high when you consider it would be added on to the hun 5.2 was common.  The doctors managing diabetes do not manage diabetes taking into account how much a gram of carb will raise b/g.  I take 5 units of insulin for each meal.  I have seen some here take as high as 80 units at a time plus the slow acting.  When I bought a vial of insulin it cost me 23 dollars at Wal Mart.  It would last a month or more.  I bet their supplier does not charge them WalMart prices so you can imagine what insulin costs are.  At the time I was buying from WalMart a vial at the  local drug store cost over 50 dollars.  At 80 units at a crack you can see for these people insulin costs are astronomical.  How the human body stands the abuse so long of diabetes is incredible. I would like to illustrate how b/g inpacts the feet for instance.  When we were a family we would make home churned ice cream.  This is usually a custard.  If we did not eat it all we would keep the excess in the refrigerator.  If it was there a couple weeks the sugar would settle to the bottom. That's what happens to the legs and feet.  the glucose is not pumped back up into the body but settles in the feet where it blocks the circulation of the blood.  Then sores and infections can turn into gangrene.  Then it is off with the toe or foot.  Doctors have another name for it but that is what happens.  glucose is heavier than blood so it settles to thee bottom too. It is interesting to learn how the kidneys handle glucose and why 30 percent of diabetics die from kidney failure.  Hardly a day goes by tht I am not on a bus with someone going to a clinic for dialysis.  There are many clinics in Tacoma.  As in all towns.  Big business.  Is that the reason there is so much ignorance about kidney failure? /Doctors say it is easier to cure cancer than obesity.  Looking around here I can believe it.  Even those few who have read my book by Bernstein still cant control their eating habits.    



No comments: