Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Problem solvers we need you

 Very normal visit today.  She was in with the group for exercises.   She kew me.  She didn't look good so I took her to the hall and gave her the truffles and a graham cracker which I now have.  We went to her room and we stayed until time to go.  When she walked it was very slow.  In her room she seemed to want to sleep.  I got the return trip at 11:00 on time and was back about 11:15 which is very early from the normal arrival.
 I called for an attendant to take care of her personal needs but it still somewhat unsettling for a male to do it.  That is the reason I think they are required to keep the door open at these times when they do this.  Although they don't always keep it open.  Here at this place I have told them about a fire extinguisher cabinet in the hall where the door keeps popping open because of no latch.  It is hung at eye leve of course and there is a danger of running into it and putting out an eye or other damage.  Nothing was done about it so I put a shim in it that kept it closed but someone might not have liked the look of the piece of tissue paper doing the job so it was removed.  Now it is popping open again.  See th picture.  This is a normal hall and passing someone or just walking down the hall not thinking about it it is very possible to run into it.  As you can see the door  could reach  more into the hall if it was opened more makeing it more dangerous.  I did this when in high school in  Chowchilla  many years ago and I can tell you it is not a laughing matter.  It also illustrates the callous disregard some of the workers here have for the residents.  This the way it is for some not all.  But it is very common for them to just tell you anything because for one they don't care, two they might not know but will tell you anyway just to get you off their back.    I've told Steve and Louise both.  Now we will see how long this continues before  something is done about it.  As  I have only one eye left I would take a very dim view of having s-omething happen  to it. 


Another interesting problem.  At  my table there is a woman who  had a brain injury some years back and although she can think she can not express herself verbally except for a few words.  So when she wants to tell you something it is just a guessing game. It seems well nigh impossible to guess what she is trying to convey.  Today there was a seemingly normal lunch she was trying to get across to us.  We just could not get what she was trying to tell us about it.  I finally decided we are taking the wrong approach trying to understand what she is telling us.  I was thinking about if a system could not be developed to find out what she was trying to tell us.  There used to be a TV game show called "What's my line"  for example.  Then there was the game even adults played that used a technique of asking if what the person was thinking about was animal, vegetable or mineral.  The details are very vague to me.  If anyone reading this has an idea about this please leave a comment.  I know something can be done it as she is intelligent enough to understand what we are trying to do.

No comments: