Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Kay got mad today




Kay got into an altercation with another person at the entrance to her room.  The caregiver told me today  there was a group outside her door it seems and for some reason Kay started hitting out an another lady.  The caregiver thought she was trying to keep her from entering Kay's room.  The lady has been known to come into Kay's room.  This happened in the morning and I didn't get there until 1:30.  When I did get there Kay was in someone elses bed in the adjacent room.  I got her up and into the hall where I give her a truffles. There wasn't much to do. I suggested to a caregiver that perhaps Kay was irritated because she was hungry. The caregiver said that was not a factor here because she ate well at breakfast and all of her lunch.   However I would take that with a grain of salt and expect to be verified. Caregivers have training on how to treat relatives and make them feel good.  Like knowing their names and always greeting the, with a smile. So whether irritation from hunger was a factor I don't know.    If you are in pain or irritated you do not always treat people the same as when you feel good.  Yesterday I took a picture of Kay and showed her arms just skin and bones.  I have been thinking   the next time one of the boys comes to take her out to the OCB I am going to ask the Caregiver to put a brassier on when she gets dressed.  I haven' t seen her without her clothes on but they seem to be very reduced in size from before she went into Cascade.  Cascade is not deliberately underfeeding her but they are feeding her what she does not want to eat and does not eat, I suspect. A fat person will live longer in a famine than a skinny person.  Your body uses the fat up first then starts using the protein in their organs.  When it gets down to a certain level the person dies. Kay does not have much more to lose before she gets to this stage.  She does not have much fat to go on. They are so used to people wasting away then dieing and Kay is just another unfortunate person to them.  I saw this in Gene Hemry but did not realize what was going on.     So the enevitable is ahead.  Up to now I have felt that Kay would outlive me because her vital organs were in good shape. But if she continues to lose weight I think that  will be a big factor in whether she lives or dies.  So unnecessary if only they would feed her what she wants to eat. I don't think a person can be around dementia people for years without developing a certain fatalistic  outlook about the people in their care.  They can not get emotionally involved in their patients. It would drive them insane. Kay is not just another patient to me.  She is my wife and I want her as comfortable and expect her to be taken care of properly.  Letting her continue to lose weight is not an option. This aggressiveness may be due to her continually hungry and losing weight.  

No comments: