Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2014

I ask for a non puree diet

Good visit with Kay today although it took me forever to get home.  It was the day Tom could deliver my order of supplies today which included some pudding to give to Kay.  He wants to see if she eats it with as much gusto as she did at OCB last time.  The answer is yes.  It was gone in 30 seconds I think.  Also a truffle I gave her.   The sun was out so the first thing I did after giving her the pudding was to take her outside and soak up some sun.  We were protected from any breeze so it was really a good experience.  Afterwards we went back to her room and hung out there until time to go.  

I have gotten an accurate weight on Kay and she weighs 84.4 with her clothes on.  They probably weighed a pound and a half.  This weight indicates a continual downward trend.  I maintained that when I started this exposure that she lost 15 pounds from last June to a couple months ago.  Everybody pooh poohed that claim and did not believe it. When we met with the State of WA social services agent the Cascade represetative gave some figures that showed  she did not lose the weight.  Contrary to what I thought she had lost which was 15 pounds in about 4 or 5 months.  As  I got my figures from the Cascade medical department there was not much I could do to counter that claim.  If the Cascade representative was correct the figure  I got from the same department was either wrong or I got it mixed up somehow. Therefore I had to use other means to determine if she was not eating enough to keep from losing weight.  We got figures from Multcare on on what she weighed when she went to Multicare for treatment but they were inconclusive  as far as I was concerned.  They gave her weight in some instances where I do not remember ever weighing.  Which was over 130 pounds.  Besides I seem to remember her going to the Doctor there and they do not always weigh  her.  Recently it seemed to me that she is continuing to lose weight as her arms are just skin and bones.  I decided that the only thing to do was to monitor her weight and see if she continues to lose weight. So today she weighed  84.4 with her clothes on which is about 5 or 6 pounds less than when this is all started.   

I have contacted the nurse there who handles these things and have asked to change her diet from puree foods to regular food she has been used to eating until she went to Cascade Gardens. I am in the process of making up a list hoping they have enough of variery to give them a try.  They will only do non puree  for 72 hours. I think this is BS by the nurse as it is easier not to puree food than dish it out with all the other food plates.  I find you can get some little white lies from  these people when the truth would do just as well.     I also want them to give her food she likes and not all that stuff from Food Services of America who supplies Cascades  food. For the non puree diet either way should work ok. One important item is to put salt in her food.  Her blood pressure is good so she does not need a low salt diet.  The CDC did a long survey of 40,000 people and found that those on a low salt diet did not live an hour longer than those with normal salt. 

No comments: