Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Friday, October 25, 2013

Visit to Kay friday 10-25 terribly handicapped woman


At lake Forest Park

I went to see Kay  as usual today.  I found her in the community room awake. Few were in it why I learned later was because they had a bus load on an outing.  I took her to her room because I was too exhausted to do anything .  I was awake part of the night. In the morning I went to Walmart to get a new supply of test strips.  The morning is short between breakfast and lunch when you have to get a shot of insulin at 11:00 AM.  We lay on the bed for a while and then she went to the bathroom.  In a couple minutes she did not come back and I went in to find out why not.  Instead of coming back to her bed she had gone into the adjacent room and was getting into one of those beds.  So I brought her back to to the right bed.  It took an hour to get there so I had less than a hour with her.  Doing what she did today is very common with the people there. Several times lately when I bring Kay into her room some man follows us in which is a little disconcerting.  He is not terribly old and in good shape but all I do is tell him this is not his room and turn him around and he will go out. It looks like there was a prospective resident visiting because when I went back the bus had another two to go back from the facility.   She was terribly handicapped and in a wheel chair with two oxygen bottles.  Her husband was with her and he was using a walker too.  I assume they were at  the Cascade Park Gardens to discuss entry to the facility.   The owner of the place came in at the time I was there and said hello to me.  They may have been having a look at the situation.  The lady seemed more in need of a rest home and not a assisted living facility although her mind seemed sharp.  They may even have rooms there for husband and wives for situations such as this.  I didn't go into that aspect when I was thinking of moving into the Vintage apartments. I thought I could visit her enough from there. I don't know what to do now.  Tomorrow I must look into the situation.  Maybe I could get where she is if they have any rooms available.  I have never seen any couples there although there could be and I just did not see them. I don't believe that though as I have been there too many times for that to happen I am sure.   Tomorrow I must check into the situation. I took some video of the woman who came from Cascade and you can see it here. For privacy I have blurred her face.  Her husband was at the back of the bus.  Folks there is another world out there you know nothing of.  I have nothing but compassion for these people. Just remember you may be headed for a similar experience.  There are people at Cascade who are no more than 30 or 35 years old. they have a lifetime ahead of them in wheel chairs.   
  



No comments: