![]() |
| At a UPC group meeting Isn't she pretty? But I think all young people are good looking. |
Some family members have been trying for years for Kay and I to agree to go to first a retirement center then to an institution such as this an Assisted Living facility. I think that if we were in a place that offers entertainment of sorts to keep us occupied that that would satisfy us when we made the change from independent living as we were.
There are two or three kinds here at least of people who are living here. There are those who before coming here came from a background of perhaps two or three marriages with a couple family sets of children. These come in varying degrees of course. Or perhaps never married with no visitors to come see them. Then there are people like Kay and Me who came from a background of one marriage, one family taking up entirely our interests. To illustrate this when I married Kay I promised her I would never leave her. I intended this marriage to be the one and only family I was going to have. I promised her. The breakup of my family when I was little profoundly effected me and the other even younger children. I did not want to inflict that on any kids I expected to have. Fortunately for me and I think for the family we have lived up to this commitment. So now when due to age and physical conditions we have to make a change we are faced with how to face it For myself if it were not for Kay what we have here might be more manageable than -it is. But one thing is for sure it is not possible to forget 92 years where family was our everything and plunge into a life where strangers substitute for how we lived before. Especially with Kay in another place not being able to comprehend where she is and what goes around her. After dinner facing going to bed knowing she is over there sitting in a TV viewing room with other people she is not able to communicate with or in her bed sleeping. It is not a pretty life and I can not be at ease as long as she is this way. Besides she is so far out that it is very hard for regular visitors to come and visit her.
There has been a picture of Kay participating in exercise program. I don't know what that is supposed to mean other than she is getting involved in activities at the facility and no longer needs family visits. Or if visitors do not come she is perfectly ok in her new enviorment. What I think it means is that she is just forgetting from neglect. This is no doubt not what some people want to hear but that's the way it is.

No comments:
Post a Comment