Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Kay in hospital



All this past week I have been totally involved in trying to find out what is causing Kay's diarrhea.  She is in room 536 of the Tacoma General Hospital.  Wednesday we took her to the new Emergency room at the Multicare place here in Covington.  She had had a couple days of bad diarrhea.  There they gave her the usual battery of tests including a Cat Scan of her intestinal tract. Didnt find anything amiss so sent her home. I expecting maybe it would clear up.  Things were not  excessively bad on Thursday but Friday she had a bad flare up in the afternoon so I took her back about three where they repeated some of the tests done before and this time they thought they saw an indication of inflammation in her bowls. They recommended and arranged for her to be transported to the Tacoma General for complete check up for what ever ails her.  
They had started an IV of antibiotics at Covington which continued on the way to Tacoma and then on during her stay.  That was of course last night so we got home about 12:30  this morning. It was my understanding she was to remain on  antibiotics perhaps for 2 or three days.  However at noon today I noticed she was not connected to the IV and when I went in to the nurse station they told me she had been taken off the IV and now wanted her to start eating solid food.  This meant a couple things to me one which was that they had miss read the scan and she did not have inflammation in the intestines.  The ONE thing they wanted was for stool sample so they could verify any bugs in her intestines.  She had been unable to give one  Therefore the return to solid food. Her intestines were probably empty in 24 hours so if she had diarrhea they would not be able to tell.  I personally thought her inability to provide a sample was because of the  Imodium I had given her yesterday about 8 AM and yesterday at 3 pm.  Maybe it decided to work. They knew of the pills so perhaps she had just responded to their effects and had killed the diarrhea. So  therefore the switch  to solid food to get a sample.  She ate a little food at noon and more in the afternoon and evening meal.  Hopefully this works. 


She is really hyped up to go home.  To get out of there.  It was hard to hear her ask and ask and ask to get out of there.  The hospital just called and said she was asking for Tom.  Probably because  I was not taking her home she would ask him to do it.  They said she had not slept last night so she has had no sleep since night before last. She was really hyper but the person said as old as she is sometimes sedatives make it worse. 
 I think she is ready for a sample so maybe we will know one way or another tomorrow


I just called the hospital and they are going to give some sort of IV to calm her down.  


Doyal








All surplus antiques, collectibles and everything not needed for daily living will be disposed of. We want to save our kids from having to decide what to do with it when we die. That is a time of chaos. I am listing everything at http://realancient.blogspot.com free for family and small price to non-family members

No comments: